Wednesday 15 June 2011

Sun Care Products & Staying Safe In The Sun.

As I said in my last post - I'm going on holiday soon and it has gave me some inspiration for a new blog post on the things I take with me on holiday to look after my skin and hair. We all know the sun can be very damaging to our skin and it's important to look after yourself when you're out in it, especially for long periods of time like when you're on holiday. So it's important to remember to wear a SPF of at least 15 no matter how dark your skin is and to make sure that you top up your sun lotion every 1 to 2 hours to ensure that you keep yourself protected. I don't actually have very dark skin naturally, which is why it will probably come as a surprise when I say I actually use tanning oil rather than tanning lotion when sunbathing, sun cream really makes my skin itch and blotchy so I find oil is a lot more gentle for my skin. Every time I go on holiday I use Hawaiian Tropic, I make sure I use it in a high factor because I know oil attracts the sun easier than lotion, so I usually use a factor 20 or higher. It's around £9 from most superdrugs etc but I think a lot of places are doing offers on sun care at the moment as summer is almost here! 

As the sun completely dries your skin out, it's important to get that moisture back in after a day of sunbathing! Especially if you've had a bit too much sun that day then you need to cool it down by using After Sun. If you don't use After Sun your skin will become so dry that you'll peel within a few days and then you'll have no tan at all! After Sun can be applied in the evening after a shower, just apply it like a normal moisturiser, but I usually put it on really thickly and let it soak in. I would advise to keep the bottle in the fridge during the day so it's more soothing on the skin especially if it's been burnt. The After Sun I like to use is Garnier Ambre Solaire After Sun Skin Soother And Hydrating Milk with Cactus Extract. It smells gorgeous and is really moisturising! It doesn't leave you feeling greasy or sticky and it absorbs into the skin fairly quickly so you don't have to wait around for it to dry. You get a 200ml bottle for around £7 :) 


Every time I go on holiday I can guarantee that I will burn my lips and it is the most painful thing ever! It always leaves me with really sore, dry and blistering lips! Not attractive! So when I went to Menorca a few years ago my Mum introduced me to Elizabeth Arden's Eight hour cream lip protectant stick SPF 15. I fell in love with this product, my blistered lips cleared up in two days and it left them feeling really soft and moisturised! It was hard to believe that two days before they were so red. So now every time I go abroad I buy this to take with me :) you can purchase it  here for £19.00 




Most people forget about their scalp whilst in the sun, I know I always do! So for holiday this year I have bought myself this Malibu Clear Scalp Protector SPF 15 which is £2.29 from Superdrug. I haven't actually used this product yet as I've only just bought it and haven't been on holiday yet but it does say that it's water resistant, non-greasy and quick drying. 


So I hope where ever you're all going this summer whether it be abroad or just staying in this country that you all have a lovely time and remember these tips to stay safe in the sun and to prolong your tan without damaging your skin :) 
Leanne x


No comments:

Post a Comment